7 family members jump from burning Salem, New Jersey home
SALEM, N.J. - January 29, 2014 (WPVI) -- Seven family members escaped with their lives after jumping from a burning home in Salem, New Jersey early Wednesday morning.
The fire was reported at 3:30 a.m. at 70 Walnut Street.
Police say a Zina Reed, her three adult children - Ryan Elkin, Gary Elkin and Denise Elkin - and three grandchildren escaped by jumping from the front and back windows of the second floor of the home.
Family members said they couldn't get out through the first floor because of the smoke and flames.
22-year-old Denise Elkin is 7-months pregnant. Zina Reed told Action News that Denise did not lose the pregnancy in the incident. A Christiana Care spokesperson later told Action News that Denise was listed in fair condition.
The family was being helped by the American Red Cross.
The New Jersey State Fire Marshal is investigating.
new jersey news, salem county news, fire, local/state
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard 1 min ago
- Finally, a nice weekend! 43 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Bucks Co. mom arrested for Walmart theft 32 min ago
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton shooting 37 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian killed in Collingdale hit-and-run 48 min ago
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Finally, a nice weekend!
43 min ago
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239...
1 min ago
- Police: Bucks Co. mom arrested for Walmart...
32 min ago
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton...
37 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos