Local barber prepares to watch son in Super Bowl
UPPER DARBY, Pa. - January 30, 2014 (WPVI) -- With the Super Bowl on Sunday, we may not know how many Denver Bronco fans are in the Philadelphia area, but there is one barber in Upper Darby with good reason to be a fan; his son is on the team.
Inside the Suburban Hair Company in Upper Darby, Steven Johnson, Sr. has on his Broncos Blue and Orange.
"I don't think it's really hit me yet, you know? I think about it from time to time," said Steven Johnson, Sr.
Steven Johnson, Jr. is a reserve linebacker for the Broncos. Earlier this year, he blocked a punt for a touchdown against the Eagles.
"That was beautiful man. I mean to do it against a team growing up that was his team as a kid," said Johnson.
Steve's pictures adorn the walls. There is a sense of pride in the Upper Darby neighborhood.
"I think a lot of it was his own self-determination to overcome the odds stacked against him," said Johnson.
"He was very humble, very humble," said Reverend Tracy Mallory. "He was willing to study. When I talked about his studies, he was just working hard."
Steve Johnson, Jr. honed his skills on the gridiron here at Strath Haven High School.
His father tells Action News that he didn't start at running back and linebacker until his senior season. He then went on to Wyoming Seminary Prep School in Wilkes Barre.
He did not receive scholarships from any Division 1 programs, but ended up walking on at the University of Kansas.
"Every step of the way, he had to work his way. He was an undrafted free agent, and has really just worked so hard. I know his pro coaches love him the same way we did here," said Kevin Clancy, Strath Haven Football Coach.
"It's just a blessing he got a chance to play with a guy like Peyton Manning. With a guy like that you got a chance to win," said Johnson.
Family and friends of Steve Johnson, Jr. will be watching as the hometown hopeful plays the biggest game in sports, the Super Bowl.
denver broncos, super bowl, nfl, upper darby, pennsylvania news, local/state
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport 7 min ago
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- After 6 days, Malaysian jet mystery still unsolved
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad