Reward increased to $25,000 after 5 Wawa robberies
NORTHEAST PHILADELPHIA - January 30, 2014 (WPVI) -- A reward has been increased following a string of robberies at the same Wawa store in Northeast Philadelphia.
Wawa announced on Thursday it was increasing a reward to $25,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for rash of robberies.
The most recent robbery happened around 1:40 a.m. on January 13th at the convenience store located on the 6400 block of Bustleton Avenue.
Police say a masked man burst into the Wawa and announced a holdup.
He demanded money and made the assistant manager empty the register and store safe.
Witnesses say the suspect then fled through a rear door and jumped a fence.
The suspect made off with cash and a carton of Newport cigarettes, police say.
"Based on witnesses, they say the male was wearing an Old Navy, gray, hooded sweatshirt, jeans, work boots and had a black mask covering his face. He was wearing gloves and had a dark-colored handgun," said Chief Inspector Scott Small of the Philadelphia Police.
There were seven customers and four employees inside the store but no one hurt.
The first in this series of robbery happened back in October.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Philadelphia Police at 215-686-TIPS (8477), text a tip to PPD TIP (773847) or through PhillyPolice.com.
wawa, robbery, northeast philadelphia news, philadelphia news, local/state
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 39 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill 1 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman 34 min ago
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- ID theft warrant leads to pot bust in Hamilton Twp.
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip 27 min ago
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth 43 min ago
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
1 min ago