Man, 57, killed by hit-and-run driver in Wilmington
WILMINGTON, Del. - February 1, 2014 (WPVI) -- Police in Wilmington, Delaware are investigating a hit-and-run incident that left a 57-year-old man dead early Saturday morning.
It was 1:32 a.m. when police responded to the 1700 block of West 2nd Street.
Police say the preliminary investigation suggests that the victim exited a residence in the 1700 block of West 2nd Street and fell into the roadway. Investigators say alcohol appears to be a contributing factor.
A westbound red pickup truck with a horizontal stripe running the length of the vehicle struck the victim as he was lying in the roadway. Witnesses say the vehicle continued westbound out of sight.
Officers performed CPR on the victim who was then transported to Christiana Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The victim's name is withheld pending notification of next of kin.
Anyone with information is urged to contact police at 302-576-3691, Wilmington Police Confidential Tip Line at 302-576-3990, or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-TIP-3333.
wilmington news, delaware news, accident, hit and run, local/state
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Phila. Police search for suspect in Rite Aid robbery
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police