Snow knocks out power to thousands
HAMILTON TWP., N.J. - February 3, 2014 (WPVI) -- From New Jersey to Pennsylvania, thousands of people were left in the dark after power lines got hit hard by wet, heavy snow.
"No food, no heat because of no electric so it's kind of cold," said Cheresse Pullin, Hamilton Township, New Jersey.
Dark streets and dark homes in Mercer County where PSE&G says 1,200 customers were without electricity during the evening.
Pullin and her neighbors near Hamilton Avenue and Route 33 were the unlucky ones - the power went out around 3:00 p.m.
"I'm just waiting and hoping and hoping and waiting," said Pullin.
Action News was there as crews worked to turn on the lights. PSE&G says its highest number was 3,000 customers in New Jersey.
Over in Pennsylvania, PECO reported that about 60,000 people lost power throughout the day.
Montgomery County was one of the hardest hit regions.
"We've got the candles out and we're ready for light. He's got the lantern ready to go so we're waiting to see if we can dry our wet clothes and get something to eat," said Linda Eksterowicz.
Back in New Jersey, it's the first time during this active winter season that this community has experienced so many outages.
Jerry D'Angelo kept busy while he waited.
"I came home from work and my wife was at the front door with the door open. I saw the traffic lights out on Hamilton Avenue so I was figuring it was the worst and it was," he said.
Meanwhile, heading into the cold overnight hours, PSE&G and PECO are hoping to get the power restored to everyone by midnight.
pennsylvania news, new jersey news, power outage, snow, local/state
- SEPTA unveils strike plan; union says strike unlikely 14 min ago
- Milder this afternoon, snow likely Monday 49 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 44 min ago
- Investigator: Missing plane flew over Malaysia
- 2-alarm fire at Holmesburg condo complex 15 min ago
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- Family displaced in Wilmington house fire 35 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- Video: Pastor collapses, dies, after admitting...
- Milder this afternoon, snow likely Monday
49 min ago
- SEPTA unveils strike plan; union says...
14 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
44 min ago