Police: Pennsylvania man pours gas inside car, dies in fire
HARRISBURG, Pa. - February 4, 2014 (WPVI) -- A suicidal central Pennsylvania man doused the inside of his car with gasoline during a police chase before dying in a vehicle fire, authorities said Tuesday.
Police at the Harrisburg barracks in Dauphin County said a woman called late Monday night saying her son had left home and was suicidal, so they put out an alert for officers to be on the lookout for his vehicle.
Troopers spotted the car on the side of the road about 3 a.m. Tuesday, but it took off when they tried to approach the vehicle.
Trooper Robert Hicks, a state police spokesman, said that during the ensuing pursuit, police could see the driver, Brian White, "emptying multiple cans of gasoline within the vehicle" and throwing a couple of cigarettes out the driver's side window.
Police used spike strips in an attempt to stop the vehicle on Interstate 81 northbound, but the driver continued for another two miles despite the strips, during which time "troopers could see the inside of the car become engulfed in flames," Hicks said.
The car traveled another few hundred yards before coming to rest off the east side of the interstate, police said. Troopers were unable to approach to try to save the driver due to the intense fire. White, 33, of Hummelstown, died at the scene.
The northbound lanes of the highway were closed for several hours and Hicks said the episode remains under investigation.
pennsylvania news, suicide, fire, police chase, local/state
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes 21 min ago
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday 16 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents 20 min ago
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living 19 min ago
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt 26 min ago
- Phila. Police search for suspect in Rite Aid robbery 22 min ago
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence 14 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 12 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
16 min ago
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire...
21 min ago
- Rescuers airlift horse out of Angeles...
10 min ago