Police: Pennsylvania man pours gas inside car, dies in fire
HARRISBURG, Pa. - February 4, 2014 (WPVI) -- A suicidal central Pennsylvania man doused the inside of his car with gasoline during a police chase before dying in a vehicle fire, authorities said Tuesday.
Police at the Harrisburg barracks in Dauphin County said a woman called late Monday night saying her son had left home and was suicidal, so they put out an alert for officers to be on the lookout for his vehicle.
Troopers spotted the car on the side of the road about 3 a.m. Tuesday, but it took off when they tried to approach the vehicle.
Trooper Robert Hicks, a state police spokesman, said that during the ensuing pursuit, police could see the driver, Brian White, "emptying multiple cans of gasoline within the vehicle" and throwing a couple of cigarettes out the driver's side window.
Police used spike strips in an attempt to stop the vehicle on Interstate 81 northbound, but the driver continued for another two miles despite the strips, during which time "troopers could see the inside of the car become engulfed in flames," Hicks said.
The car traveled another few hundred yards before coming to rest off the east side of the interstate, police said. Troopers were unable to approach to try to save the driver due to the intense fire. White, 33, of Hummelstown, died at the scene.
The northbound lanes of the highway were closed for several hours and Hicks said the episode remains under investigation.
pennsylvania news, suicide, fire, police chase, local/state
- Lockdown at high school in Bethlehem 17 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident 35 min ago
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Minivan, car collide head-on in Paoli
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Lockdown lifted at Pennsbury High School 18 min ago
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Elderly woman hurt in East Windsor apartment fire 55 min ago
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd 21 min ago
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd
21 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos