Schuylkill Expressway eastbound reopens after falling tree, crash
LOWER MERION TWP., Pa. - February 5, 2014 (WPVI) -- The Schuylkill Expressway is back open after a falling tree caused an accident that shut down all eastbound lanes.
The closure went into effect around 4:00 a.m. Wednesday between the Blue Route (I-476) and Belmont Avenue exits after a tree fell, striking a vehicle along the part of the expressway known as the Conshohocken Curve.
There was no immediate word on injuries.
Crews were able to clear the accident scene and debris, and traffic was moving again before 6:00 a.m.
The closure came as a winter storm brought a mixture of snow, ice and freezing rain to the Delaware and Lehigh Valleys, causing numerous accidents and power outages across the region.
pennsylvania news, local/state
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more 56 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett to announce Vatican trip
- Woman's body found between parked cars in West Philadelphia 40 min ago
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim 7 min ago
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Video: Secret Oreo cookie recipe sold to China
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
7 min ago