Mother, daughter rescued from house fire in Mercer County
HOPEWELL TWP., N.J. - February 6, 2014 (WPVI) -- A mother and daughter were rescued from a fire at a home that had lost power in Hopewell Township, New Jersey.
The fire broke out just before 1:00 a.m. Thursday on the unit block of Diverty Road.
With heavy flames at the scene, the blaze quickly went to a second alarm.
When police arrived on the scene 56-year-old Kathleen Susanin was standing outside, but her 86-year-old mother Gertrude Shaw was trapped inside a burning front bedroom.
Michael Gonzalez lives next door to the scene of the two alarm fire in Hopewell that ignited early Thursday morning.
Without a ladder at first, three officers and several firefighters who just arrived struggled to pull Shaw up and over the 5 foot high window ledge.
With her bathrobe already in flames, they finally got her out.
"I see the police officer struggling to get somebody out, but through the window you can see fire. I grabbed my fire extinguisher and ran over there and I gave it to one of the police officers," said Gonzalez.
Both mother and daughter were transferred to Temple Hospital where they are listed in critical condition.
"The power had been out all day on that particular street. There were candles being used in the home for lighting purposes," said Chief Lance Maloney.
Diverty Road is one of the areas that have been without power since early Wednesday morning after snapping tree limbs brought down poles and power lines.
The sound of generators could be heard throughout the neighborhood.
"I'm just running the sump pump, refrigerator, freezer, TV, the basics," said Ryan Catanzareti.
Authorities say two firefighters suffered smoke inhalation in the fire, and one police officer suffered minor burns and broken hand.
The exact cause of the fire remains under investigation.
fire, mercer county news, new jersey news, local/state
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt 34 min ago
- Man critical after police-involved shooting
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Serial burglar strikes South Phila. businesses
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Police release surveillance of Target heist
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Video: Man swallows gold bars in India
- Video: Dying dog in Canada has bucket list
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos