Acme Markets helps seniors stay warm in Delaware County
MEDIA, Pa. - February 6, 2014 (WPVI) -- A Delaware County grocery store is helping seniors stay warm after losing power in this week's ice storm.
The president of Acme Markets contacted to Action News Thursday morning wanting to help someone without power. The store president had ordered too many generators.
Action News reached out to a senior living community in Delaware County.
"He's our hero," said Linda Sterhous. "When he arrived on the campus, we were all ready to give him a hug and a kiss."
Linda Sterhous was talking about Acme Market's President Jim Perkins.
Sterhous runs Martins Run Senior living Community in Media.
Martins Run lost power around 8:00 a.m. Wednesday following the ice storm.
The 22 acre facility has 16 buildings and houses 300 seniors, some of them in critical care and assisted living.
"Since then our building has slowly been losing heat. We do have some generator power here for critical areas, but not complete generator power," said Sterhous.
After ordering generators for many of his stores that lost power, Jim Perkins had several extra.
"All of our acme stores are on power or generator power now, because people need to shop. So as they come up on power, we already have the generator rented for the week, so why not pass it along to someone who needs it in the community," said Perkins.
The generators are capable of running a grocery store or a hospital, and the tight knit community of Martins Run are very grateful.
"With each day that goes by and each hour that goes by the building is getting colder, and it is getting a little more serious for these people who are at risk for hypothermia," said Sterhous.
"We love helping the community and we appreciate the opportunity to do that. It was so much fun to walk through here today and talk with all the seniors and thinking that we are going to get their heat back on rewarding to do that," said Perkins.
Acme Markets donated two generators to Marcus Run. They also loaned a generator to the Malvern Fire Company.
acme markets, power outage, pennsylvania news, lifestyle, local/state
- Plane towed, probe begins in gear collapse 7 min ago
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Search for missing jet expands toward Indian Ocean
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash 46 min ago
- Fire damages Flap Jacks restaurant on City Avenue
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Pictures of suspects in Logan murder
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies 54 min ago
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- Plane towed, probe begins in gear collapse
7 min ago
- Man mistaken for dead passes away
51 min ago