Teen identified in fatal Trenton beating
TRENTON, N.J. - February 16, 2014 (WPVI) -- Authorities say an 18-year-old recent immigrant from Guatemala was beaten to death while sitting on his steps in Trenton.
It happened around 6:45 p.m. on South Clinton Avenue. Officials say the victim is identified as Julio Cesar Cruz.
Cruz just arrived from Guatemala a month ago.
"He was a very good guy, one of the best guy's I've met. He was funny and was a hard worker," said Cristan Lopez, friend.
Cruz had just gotten a sandwich from the store and reached the doorstep of his home, when he was attacked.
The prosecutor's office says witnesses saw two men grab and throw Cruz to the ground.
"He pounded on the door and cried for help. Many people inside saw that he was hurt and called for help. Several individuals from inside the house came to assist the young man," said Jim Scott, Assistant Mercer County Prosecutor.
Witnesses rushed to help and the suspects fled. Medics rushed Cruz to the hospital where he later died.
Friends say he came for the American Dream. Cruz moved here to make money to send home to his family but now friends are working to raise money to send him home for a proper burial.
Meanwhile robbery is believed to have been the motive. Police continue to look for witnesses and the suspects.
teens, beating, homicide, trenton news, new jersey news, local/state
- Photos: AccuWeather Maps: Snow arrives tonight 19 min ago
- Snow will turn the ground white again! 20 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts 55 min ago
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 1 wounded in Lakewood drive-by shooting
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- Snow will turn the ground white again!
20 min ago