Students display projects in the nation's oldest science fair
PHILADELPHIA - February 19, 2014 (WPVI) -- Students displayed their projects Wednesday in the oldest city-wide science fair in the country.
It is Philadelphia's 35th annual George Washington Carver Science Fair held at the Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University.
Not only is the Carver Science Fair the oldest in the nation, it also features some of the very best science minds.
There are nearly 300 elementary school students in this phase of the competition.
All 4th through 6th graders, like Richard Yang.
"My project is about how I see which design can best withstand an earthquake," said Richard. "I found that a pyramid shape was the best to withstand an earthquake."
MaNaya Altston asks whether vinegar and baking soda will create a chemical reaction to cause a balloon to inflate itself.
"I was right about the part of it fizzing up, but the blowing up part didn't happen," said 6th grader MaNaya Alston.
The hypotheses ranged from what turns milk into plastic to blowing bottle tops to make music.
Caleigh Bristow's hypothesis involved the most absorbent diaper.
"Shoprite was the least absorbent, and my mom actually works there. It wasn't very good," said Caleigh.
Caleigh's twin sister, Courtney agreed, and twins Lauren and Brandon Archer could relate.
"Last year, we did the same to see which diapers absorb the most liquid, and we got the same results," said 5th grader Brandon Archer.
The judges look for creativity and application from the young students.
"Some of them already have an idea what they want to do," said Erwin Lewis. "For example this young lady we just interviewed, she is talking about becoming an electrician."
The results of Wednesday's judging will be announced on Friday.
"The upper school students will present their science projects on March 7th.
students, school, philadelphia news, local/state, lisa thomas-laury
- 3 beach homes destroyed in Sea Isle City fire 45 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend 35 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire 14 min ago
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist 32 min ago
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest