Off-duty officer under investigation in Delaware County
COLWYN, Pa. - February 21, 2014 (WPVI) -- A police officer from Colwyn, Delaware County is the subject of an investigation following an incident at a grocery store Friday night.
The off-duty officer was taken into custody but later released Friday night after an argument that witnesses say got out of hand.
The victim says the off-duty officer showed his gun and made threats after an argument at a local supermarket.
Collingdale Police responded to a report of a suspect with a gun at the Aldi on MacDade Boulevard just after 6:00 p.m.
Police say several witnesses made calls to 911.
"The allegation is that the off-duty officer indicated he was armed, there was an overt movement made towards the victim and statements made to the victim," said Collingdale Police Chief Bob Adams.
Adams said the argument started in the store's checkout line.
The officer and the victim, who do not know each other, began arguing. Witnesses say it got heated and spilled out into the parking lot.
The off-duty officer allegedly lifted his shirt to show his weapon and made threats.
"At that point outside out of camera range, came the allegation of the threat with the weapon and/or display of the weapon, we don't know at this point," said Adams.
It is not clear if the gun was the officer's police-issued weapon.
The investigation has moved to the special prosecution unit. So far, no charges have been filed.
police, delaware county news, pennsylvania news, local/state
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos