Suspect in hammer attack outside West Philadelphia deli identified
WEST PHILADELPHIA - February 24, 2014 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police say they have identified the suspect who brutally attacked a local business owner with a hammer.
Nathanial Maybin, 29, from the 800 block of S. 56th Street is wanted for the attack outside Maple Deli at 49th and Lancaster in West Philadelphia.
Police say David Woods, 46, was attacked at that location just before just before 5 p.m. Thursday.
According to investigators, Woods had gone inside the deli to use an ATM. When he came out, Maybin allegedly ran up with a hammer and attacked.
Woods' employee Bernard Williams, who was inside their work truck and heard the commotion, grabbed a bar from the truck and chased the suspect for about two blocks before losing him.
Williams then went back to Woods and, finding him bleeding and unconscious, drove him to the hospital.
The Gloucester City man was hit so hard, he can't even speak. Police said Woods will likely have to go through intensive speech therapy before he can talk again.
"It's hard seeing him like that. It's frustrating. He looks like a completely different person. It's hard seeing my uncle like that, he's the strongest person I know," said Woods' niece, Nicole Cohen.
Woods' wife, Connie, has been by his side trying to communicate with the father of three, who underwent surgery for his massive head injury.
He was well enough to finally be released from the hospital on Monday, but he still has a long road of recovery ahead of him.
"I can't imagine anyone hurting my brother. I just can imagine it. I just don't understand," said Woods' sister, Betty Ann Kurkian.
Woods has been working in Philadelphia for decades. He's the owner of Day or Night Door Service, which installs protective steel doors on businesses.
Anyone with information on Maybin's whereabouts is asked to contact Philadelphia Police at 215-686-TIPS (8477), text a tip to PPD TIP (773847) or through PhillyPolice.com.
philadelphia news, west philadelphia news, assault, local/state
- Lockdown lifted at Pennsbury High School
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Multi-alarm fire at NJ apartment complex
- Western Pa. school reopens after stabbings
- Multiple arrests after fight in bar parking lot 45 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Photos: Pictures of damage from Tuesday's storm
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd 49 min ago
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster 30 min ago
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd
49 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos