Multi-alarm fire destroys Berks Co. condo complex for seniors
LOWER HEIDELBERG TWP., Pa. - February 25, 2014 (WPVI) -- A massive, multi-alarm fire has ravaged a condominium complex for seniors under construction in Berks County.
WFMZ-TV reports the blaze broke out at 3:45 a.m. Tuesday at Legacy at the Papermill, an under-construction senior housing complex at Paper Mill Road and Spring Ridge Drive in Lower Heidelberg Township.
Witnesses said huge flames and smoke from the inferno could be seen for miles around.
It took crews several hours to get the upper hand. The blaze was finally reported under control by 6:00 a.m. There were no immediate reports of injuries.
Fire officials said there was extensive damage at the construction site.
The cause is under investigation.
pennsylvania news, fire, berks county news, local/state
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Investigators chasing 'every angle' on missing jet 4 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 37 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Are store credit cards worth the discount? 44 min ago
- Photos: Kevin Grow joins Harlem Globetrotters
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ