4 charged in plot to bribe, shoot trial witness
PHILADELPHIA - February 26, 2014 (WPVI) -- Four men have been charged for allegedly bribing and shooting a witness in an attempt to stop him from testifying.
On Wednesday, the Philadelphia District Attorney's Office charged 35-year-old Charles Alexander, 42-year-old Troy Cooper, 37-year-old Aki Jones, and 21-year-old Shaheed Williams with Attempted Murder, Witness Intimidation, Aggravated Assault, and Conspiracy.
It all began in 2010. Authorities say Jones was involved in an altercation among several women. Gunfire erupted after the incident and Jones was later charged.
An investigation between multiple agencies revealed that Jones, Williams, Cooper and Alexander all plotted together to intimidate a witness to the incident.
Police say the Alexander and Cooper originally tried to bribe the witness with $500 but the offer was declined.
On the day of the trial in September 2011, the witness who was slated to testify, was shot several times while leaving his house.
Police say Williams, an associate of Jones, was the shooter. The victim was shot in the neck, but the bullet missed his spinal cord, and he survived.
When the arrest warrants were issued, Jones and Williams were already incarcerated on unrelated cases.
Alexander and Cooper were taken into custody on Wednesday.
Authorities say that the courageous witness is now in witness protection and will testify against all four suspects.
philadelphia news, shooting, bribery, local/state
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat 11 min ago
- Sunny and Cooler!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ