4 charged in plot to bribe, shoot trial witness
PHILADELPHIA - February 26, 2014 (WPVI) -- Four men have been charged for allegedly bribing and shooting a witness in an attempt to stop him from testifying.
On Wednesday, the Philadelphia District Attorney's Office charged 35-year-old Charles Alexander, 42-year-old Troy Cooper, 37-year-old Aki Jones, and 21-year-old Shaheed Williams with Attempted Murder, Witness Intimidation, Aggravated Assault, and Conspiracy.
It all began in 2010. Authorities say Jones was involved in an altercation among several women. Gunfire erupted after the incident and Jones was later charged.
An investigation between multiple agencies revealed that Jones, Williams, Cooper and Alexander all plotted together to intimidate a witness to the incident.
Police say the Alexander and Cooper originally tried to bribe the witness with $500 but the offer was declined.
On the day of the trial in September 2011, the witness who was slated to testify, was shot several times while leaving his house.
Police say Williams, an associate of Jones, was the shooter. The victim was shot in the neck, but the bullet missed his spinal cord, and he survived.
When the arrest warrants were issued, Jones and Williams were already incarcerated on unrelated cases.
Alexander and Cooper were taken into custody on Wednesday.
Authorities say that the courageous witness is now in witness protection and will testify against all four suspects.
philadelphia news, shooting, bribery, local/state
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd
- Sunny today, more clouds tomorrow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia fire
- Surveillance expected from Target heist 42 min ago
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding 9 min ago
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Video: Beating turns dropout into genius 46 min ago
- Surveillance expected from Target heist
42 min ago