Emotional homecoming for Delaware Army Guard
NEW CASTLE, Del. - February 26, 2014 (WPVI) -- There are always emotional scenes when soldiers return from the tense and dangerous world that is Afghanistan.
It happened Wednesday for 80 members of the Delaware Army Guard and their families.
Sometimes it takes a hero to remind you it is okay to cry.
"I'm just really just happy to be home. I missed my family and my friends. I'm just glad they are here," said Sgt. Regina Brown.
Sgt. Regina Brown is one of 80 members of the Delaware Army National Guard's 198th expeditionary signal battalion to return home today.
The soldiers received a loving welcome from friends and family after serving in Afghanistan over the past nine months.
Brittany Stacey of Middletown, Delaware was sure to be here to greet her boyfriend, Specialist Mark McFadden.
Although she admits the experience of greeting a soldier/boyfriend returning from deployment was more intense than she expected.
"It scary because you don't know what to expect, but he looks the same and it feels the same," said Brittany Stacey.
And while everyone is happy to be back not everyone is crazy about the lingering frosty conditions in the Delaware Valley.
"It's not nice that's it's snowing outside and it is cold outside. It would be better if it was warm," said Sgt. Stephanie Blackmon. "Otherwise, it is great to be home."
The men and women of the Delaware Army Guard will enjoy three weeks leave before returning for a program to help them ease back into civilian life.
u.s. army, delaware news, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 20 min ago
- Sunny and chilly 17 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat 19 min ago
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd. 43 min ago
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino 21 min ago
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Sunny and chilly
17 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
19 min ago