Masked Post Office bandit indicted on bank robbery charges
WILMINGTON, Del. - February 27, 2014 (WPVI) -- The man who stands accused in the holdup of two Delaware County post offices has been indicted by a federal grand jury for the robbery of a bank in Delaware.
The United States Attorney announced Thursday that 29-year-old Blair Thomas was indicted on bank robbery charges.
The indictment alleges that on January 23, 2014, Thomas robbed the M&T Bank located at 4899 Limestone Road in Wilmington, getting away with $17,531.
Thomas faces a maximum of 20 years in prison if convicted.
In addition to the Delaware bank robbery, Thomas is accused in the robbery of a bank in Springfield, Delaware County, as well as a holdup at the Church Lane post office in Yeadon on January 22nd and then robbing the Darby branch with a gun on the same day.
Investigators were able to track him down because of the mask he was wearing - one that resembled bumbling Police Inspector Clouseau from the 'Pink Panther' series.
Only 17 were made and after checking with the manufacturer, police say they learned that Thomas bought one in December.
It was approximately 10:40 a.m. last Wednesday when police say Thomas entered the US Post Office located at 707 Church Lane in Yeadon. He allegedly presented a demand note to an employee, but fled after failing to obtain anything in the robbery.
Then at approximately 11:00 a.m. the same day, a clerk observed the suspect in the lobby of the US Post Office located at 801 Main Street in Darby. The man remained in the office for a brief time before leaving.
Police say Thomas returned at approximately 11:55 a.m., this time announcing a robbery while displaying a silver handgun and a demand note. However, he failed to obtain anything in this robbery attempt as well.
"The individual, who appears to be the same individual on surveillance video, shows up to Wells Fargo Bank in Springfield," Reginald Wade, U.S. Postal Inspector, said last week.
On Thursday January 23rd, authorities say he produced a demand note at the Wells Fargo Bank on Baltimore Pike in Springfield, Delaware County and got away with money.
Then at 12:30 p.m. Thomas allegedly robbed at the M&T Bank on Limestone Road in Wilmington, Delaware.
delaware county news, delaware news, pennsylvania news, bank robbery, robbery, u.s. postal service, wells fargo, local/state
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff 25 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Pictures of planned Old city luxury tower 58 min ago