17 fighting birds in stockings seized at border
SAN DIEGO (AP) - April 28, 2010 -- A man has been arrested for allegedly stuffing 17 birds into stockings, binding their legs and trying to smuggle them into Mexico for cockfights.
U.S. Customs and Border Protection says Raul Salcedo was stopped by Mexican officials as he tried to cross the border from San Diego and was sent back to the United States. Customs agents held him for San Diego County animal control officers.
Salcedo was arrested for investigation of 17 counts of animal cruelty and illegal manner of transportation.
Spokeswoman Dawn Danielson says when the birds were released, they were distressed and the hens began laying eggs to relieve pent-up pressure. She says the roosters were euthanized but the hens may be put up for adoption.
california, smuggling, wildlife preservation, animals
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ