17 fighting birds in stockings seized at border
SAN DIEGO (AP) - April 28, 2010 -- A man has been arrested for allegedly stuffing 17 birds into stockings, binding their legs and trying to smuggle them into Mexico for cockfights.
U.S. Customs and Border Protection says Raul Salcedo was stopped by Mexican officials as he tried to cross the border from San Diego and was sent back to the United States. Customs agents held him for San Diego County animal control officers.
Salcedo was arrested for investigation of 17 counts of animal cruelty and illegal manner of transportation.
Spokeswoman Dawn Danielson says when the birds were released, they were distressed and the hens began laying eggs to relieve pent-up pressure. She says the roosters were euthanized but the hens may be put up for adoption.
california, smuggling, wildlife preservation, animals
- Drexel student found dead in sorority house
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run 59 min ago
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Video: Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos