17 fighting birds in stockings seized at border
SAN DIEGO (AP) - April 28, 2010 -- A man has been arrested for allegedly stuffing 17 birds into stockings, binding their legs and trying to smuggle them into Mexico for cockfights.
U.S. Customs and Border Protection says Raul Salcedo was stopped by Mexican officials as he tried to cross the border from San Diego and was sent back to the United States. Customs agents held him for San Diego County animal control officers.
Salcedo was arrested for investigation of 17 counts of animal cruelty and illegal manner of transportation.
Spokeswoman Dawn Danielson says when the birds were released, they were distressed and the hens began laying eggs to relieve pent-up pressure. She says the roosters were euthanized but the hens may be put up for adoption.
california, smuggling, wildlife preservation, animals
- Armored car robbed outside bank in Tacony
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today 54 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mom to surrender after daughter, 11, shot and killed 7 min ago
- Police investigate serious crash in Levittown 52 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Photos: Pictures from Del. River minivan plunge
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply 10 min ago
- Video: Parents outraged by faked kidnapping
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
54 min ago