Woman says Chihuahua died saving her kids
RICHMOND, Calif. (AP) - June 30, 2010 -- A Northern California woman says her Chihuahua died protecting her children from two pit bulls that got into her apartment.
Mayda Estrella, of Richmond, says the family's Chihuahua, named Manchas, jumped in between the canine invaders and her 4-year-old son Sunday. A pit bull grabbed Manchas with its jaws and carried the Chihuahua away.
Contra Costa County animal services officials say the Chihuahua was killed, and the pit bulls are now in custody.
The pit bulls' owner says they had escaped their yard by chewing through a fence. Estrella says her front door was open when the dogs came in.
She says when she saw the dogs come in, she ran into a bedroom with her other child, a newborn baby.
County officials say the owner won't face criminal charges.
california, dog attack, animals
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Wet to Wintry!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Moment of silence marks Boston bombings
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police