Woman says Chihuahua died saving her kids
RICHMOND, Calif. (AP) - June 30, 2010 -- A Northern California woman says her Chihuahua died protecting her children from two pit bulls that got into her apartment.
Mayda Estrella, of Richmond, says the family's Chihuahua, named Manchas, jumped in between the canine invaders and her 4-year-old son Sunday. A pit bull grabbed Manchas with its jaws and carried the Chihuahua away.
Contra Costa County animal services officials say the Chihuahua was killed, and the pit bulls are now in custody.
The pit bulls' owner says they had escaped their yard by chewing through a fence. Estrella says her front door was open when the dogs came in.
She says when she saw the dogs come in, she ran into a bedroom with her other child, a newborn baby.
County officials say the owner won't face criminal charges.
california, dog attack, animals
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures