Woman says Chihuahua died saving her kids
RICHMOND, Calif. (AP) - June 30, 2010 -- A Northern California woman says her Chihuahua died protecting her children from two pit bulls that got into her apartment.
Mayda Estrella, of Richmond, says the family's Chihuahua, named Manchas, jumped in between the canine invaders and her 4-year-old son Sunday. A pit bull grabbed Manchas with its jaws and carried the Chihuahua away.
Contra Costa County animal services officials say the Chihuahua was killed, and the pit bulls are now in custody.
The pit bulls' owner says they had escaped their yard by chewing through a fence. Estrella says her front door was open when the dogs came in.
She says when she saw the dogs come in, she ran into a bedroom with her other child, a newborn baby.
County officials say the owner won't face criminal charges.
california, dog attack, animals
- Robbery suspect sought, Villanova U. locked down 48 min ago
- Splendid spring finale 12 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Crackdown on illegal street vendors in W. Phila. 33 min ago
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila. 1 min ago
- Viewer takes photos of bear in back yard
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman Zimmer 41 min ago
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- Father, son 'pimps' acquitted after prostitutes testify
- Suspect robs Philadelphia Dunkin' Donuts at gunpoint
- Deen says she used slur but doesn't tolerate hate
- AMA declares obesity a disease [POLL] 37 min ago
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman...
41 min ago
- AMA declares obesity a disease [POLL]
37 min ago