Shark maims 3 Russian swimmers in Egypt's Red Sea
CAIRO (AP) - December 1, 2010 -- An Egyptian official says an oceanic white tip shark has attacked and maimed three Russian tourists swimming close to their beach hotels at an Egyptian Red Sea resort.
Director of Sinai Conservation Mohammed Salem says the shark attacked a Russian couple swimming Tuesday at a beach in Sharm el-Sheikh, a renowned diving spot known for its coral reefs.
The shark badly injured the woman's legs and back and ripped apart the man's legs.
He says another Russian tourist swimming in the nearby Ras Nasrani area was attacked on Wednesday, most likely by the same shark, and lost an arm.
Salem says the tourists were flown to Cairo and hospitalized in critical condition. He says authorities are hunting for the shark.
egypt, russia, shark attack, animals
- Photos: LATEST MAPS: 6+" in parts of NJ
- Winter's Last Blast
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words
- Video: Annie McCormick: Snow in Atlantic City
- Video: Katherine Scott: Snow in Delaware
- Video: Car spins out on I-95 in South Phila.
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- Photos: Suspects in Pa. 'street-level' drug sweep
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash