Shark maims 3 Russian swimmers in Egypt's Red Sea
CAIRO (AP) - December 1, 2010 -- An Egyptian official says an oceanic white tip shark has attacked and maimed three Russian tourists swimming close to their beach hotels at an Egyptian Red Sea resort.
Director of Sinai Conservation Mohammed Salem says the shark attacked a Russian couple swimming Tuesday at a beach in Sharm el-Sheikh, a renowned diving spot known for its coral reefs.
The shark badly injured the woman's legs and back and ripped apart the man's legs.
He says another Russian tourist swimming in the nearby Ras Nasrani area was attacked on Wednesday, most likely by the same shark, and lost an arm.
Salem says the tourists were flown to Cairo and hospitalized in critical condition. He says authorities are hunting for the shark.
egypt, russia, shark attack, animals
- 2 dead in Pennsauken doctor's office shooting ID'd
- Stormy to spectacular
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Tire dumping probe targets Wilmington shop
- Paraplegic man castrated in SW Phila. attack
- Police: Girl used in theft at Phila. nail salon
- Chrysler recalls 2.7 million Jeeps
- Teacher charged again for indecent exposure
- Construction worker killed on way to job
- US: Unruly traveler had worked at State Department
- 2 sought in Rehoboth Beach credit card fraud
- $325,000 Cash 5 ticket sold in Philadelphia
- Phillies activate Carlos Ruiz from disabled list
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos