Shark maims 3 Russian swimmers in Egypt's Red Sea
CAIRO (AP) - December 1, 2010 -- An Egyptian official says an oceanic white tip shark has attacked and maimed three Russian tourists swimming close to their beach hotels at an Egyptian Red Sea resort.
Director of Sinai Conservation Mohammed Salem says the shark attacked a Russian couple swimming Tuesday at a beach in Sharm el-Sheikh, a renowned diving spot known for its coral reefs.
The shark badly injured the woman's legs and back and ripped apart the man's legs.
He says another Russian tourist swimming in the nearby Ras Nasrani area was attacked on Wednesday, most likely by the same shark, and lost an arm.
Salem says the tourists were flown to Cairo and hospitalized in critical condition. He says authorities are hunting for the shark.
egypt, russia, shark attack, animals
- Skydiver injured in Washington Twp. accident 28 min ago
- 70s Return This Week 13 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $30K possibly stolen in Target armed robbery 24 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run 26 min ago
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Flyers rally to beat Rangers 4-2, even series
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Skydiver injured in Washington Twp. accident
28 min ago
- Sinkhole threatens homes in Florida
12 min ago
- Easter services in Mt. Airy
31 min ago