Iowa hen lays 'egg-normous' prize
BONAPARTE, Iowa (AP) - March 1, 2011 (WPVI) -- A hen in southeast Iowa has provided its owner with a prize he calls "egg-normous."
It's a 4.1-ounce beauty that's about twice the size of large eggs sold by the dozen in supermarkets.
After it was laid Feb. 18 by an Australorp hen, 37-year-old Nathan Batten carried the egg around in his coat pocket for a couple of days to show his friends. He's since put it in his refrigerator.
The egg measures 3.5 inches long, 6.5 inches around.
Sean Skeehan raises chickens at Blue Gate Farm in Chariton. He says egg size depends on chicken breed, not chicken feed. He says Australorp eggs usually weigh about 3 ounces.
According to The Des Moines Register, Batten intends to contact Guinness World Records to see whether he's got a worthy entry.
iowa, farming, wildlife preservation, animals
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Temps Soar 10 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery 26 min ago
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland 7 min ago
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
- Temps Soar
10 min ago