Man who kept alligator to woo women charged
FORD HEIGHTS, Ill. (AP) - May 9, 2011 (WPVI) -- A suburban Chicago man thought he had the perfect chick magnet in his pet alligator. Authorities only saw a dangerous animal.
A charge of possession of a dangerous animal has been filed against 43-year-old Dewayne Yarbrough of Ford Heights, who claims he kept the four-foot alligator to impress women.
Yarbrough told Cook County sheriff's investigators he kept the alligator in a small tank and fed it only 10 live mice a month to keep it from growing too large. He said he bought the gator five years ago in Indiana for $200.
Animal control investigators did not say how they learned of the alligator, which they found in Yarbrough's kitchen.
The alligator was taken Thursday to the Animal Welfare League and will be given to the Chicago Herpetological Society.
illinois, dating, wildlife preservation, animals
- 3rd Phila. police-involved shooting in 2 days 14 min ago
- Lots of clouds, damp today 49 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- 3 injured in Coatesville industrial accident 31 min ago
- Chesco man accused of sex assault on 2 young boys
- I-5 bridge collapses into Washington river 21 min ago
- Employee injured, suspect wanted in Hatfield robbery 29 min ago
- Woman convicted in fiance's wedding day death
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys
- 8 charged in $14M drug operation in SE Pa.
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch
- Chase Utley out 2-4 weeks with oblique strain
- 3rd Phila. police-involved shooting in 2 days
14 min ago
- 3 injured in Coatesville industrial accident
31 min ago
- Employee injured, suspect wanted in...
29 min ago
- I-5 bridge collapses into Washington river
21 min ago