Klepto kitty piles up the loot in Swiss town
GENEVA (AP) - June 24, 2011 (WPVI) -- Forget mice. A Swiss cat named Speedy has an eye for finer things.
Speedy has stolen so much loot that its owner had to post leaflets throughout a northern Swiss town saying "Help, our cat steals!" and inviting people to recover their missing things.
Margrit Geiger of Wiesendangen said her kleptomaniac cat switched three years ago from bringing home mice to stealing badminton shuttlecocks, all to impress her teenage son.
Then the cat began specializing in gloves, scarves and T-shirts. The latest obsession: underwear and black socks.
Geiger told the Swiss daily Blick the cat has nabbed more than 100 items, and the paper said Thursday some neighbors have already claimed items back.
Veterinarian Brigitte Buetikofer says animals steal to gain attention, so ignoring them is the best cure.
switzerland, wildlife preservation, animals
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Video: 5,000 turn out for Easter service in Mt. Airy
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry
- Video: Snowmobiler charged by angry moose