Giraffe naming contest has one rule: Not Fluffy
ERIE, Pa. (AP) - October 3, 2011 (WPVI) -- A Pennsylvania zoo is holding a naming contest for its new giraffe and there's only one rule for entries: Anything but Fluffy.
The Erie Zoo created a website called AnythingButFluffy.com for people to suggest names for its 1-year-old giraffe. It's also accepting submissions at the zoo and local credit union branches.
Zoo executive director Scott Mitchell told the Erie Times-News on Friday that more than 5,000 suggestions have come through the website alone.
The original deadline for entries was supposed to be Saturday. But Mitchell says the overwhelming response has led zoo officials to extend the contest - likely until Oct. 7.
The male giraffe, which now stands about 10 feet tall, arrived in July from the Como Park Zoo and Conservatory in St. Paul, Minn.
erie, pennsylvania, wildlife preservation, animals
- Jersey shore eyes record-setting summer 39 min ago
- Rain Moves Out, Cool Winds Blow In 36 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Police investigate 2 robberies in Montgomery Co. 26 min ago
- Police seek suspect in Olney sex assault 29 min ago
- Faith-healing couple held without bail
- Police: Woman who hit teen was DUI, reading text
- Deadly crash on I-295 in Mercer County, N.J.
- Tractor trailer crash jams traffic in Chesco
- Sex offender arrested in Del. child porn bust
- Philadelphia man sentenced in shaken baby death
- 4 men sought in West Philadelphia armed robbery 28 min ago
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- Jersey shore eyes record-setting summer
39 min ago
- Real estate scam sidelines beach goers in...
41 min ago
- Rain Moves Out, Cool Winds Blow In
36 min ago