There were paws in the pews
SANTA CRUZ, Calif. (AP) - December 19, 2011 (WPVI) -- Members of a California church had reason for paws over the weekend.
That's paws as in the furry, four-legged variety.
More than a dozen dogs and a few cats received blessings at the Prophet Elias Greek Orthodox Church in Santa Cruz.
The Sentinel reports Reverend Dennis Vierling sprinkled holy water on the pets.
Vierling has been the priest at the church since September.
But he's held pet blessings at other churches, including in Florida, where people even brought in their horses and livestock.
california, religion, wildlife preservation, animals
- Multi-alarm fire at NJ apartment complex
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of damage from Tuesday's storm
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Police: Pedestrian struck and killed in Bordentown, N.J.
- Driver loses control, hits parked SUV in South Philly
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos