Zoo gives aging gorilla new bunny companion
ERIE, Pa. (AP) - March 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- The new companion of an elderly gorilla who lives at a northeastern Pennsylvania zoo is a bunny named Panda.
Erie Zoo's gorilla, Samantha, has been without a fulltime friend since the death of Rudy, the zoo's male gorilla, in 2005. But the 47-year-old western lowland gorilla is too old to be paired with another gorilla.
So zoo officials opted instead to introduce her to Panda, a Dutch rabbit, last month.
The Erie Times-News reports Samantha and Panda get along well, with Samantha gently scratching under the bunny's chin and sharing her food with her new friend.
Officials at the zoo say Samantha has always had a gentle personality. She was hand-raised and was always more comfortable around humans even when Rudy was alive.
erie, pennsylvania, wildlife preservation, animals
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco 15 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown 14 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 56 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases