Kan. House squashes bid to make Toto breed top dog
TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) - March 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- There may be no place like home, but don't tell Toto.
A Kansas House committee squashed a bid Monday to make the cairn terrier, a breed perhaps best known as that of Dorothy's canine sidekick in "The Wizard of Oz," the state's official dog.
Democratic state Rep. Ed Trimmer told the Wichita Eagle he plans to reintroduce the bill next year. And Brenda Moore, a South Central Kansas Kennel Club official who first proposed the idea, says she plans to drum up public support for it this summer.
The animal rights group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals opposed the measure, saying it believes it would cause Kansas puppy mills to "churn out litter after litter of the breed" and lead to fewer adoptions from animal shelters.
- Mug shot released of McNabb after Ariz. arrest 20 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- $105,000 taken in Tacony armored car heist 49 min ago
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital 41 min ago
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy
- 1 dead in cement truck, car crash in Levittown
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del.
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 5 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
5 min ago