Calico lobster on display at New England Aquarium
BOSTON (AP) - May 11, 2012 (WPVI) -- So you think blue lobsters are rare? The New England Aquarium is holding a lobster that's way rarer than that.
The aquarium in Boston says it has a calico lobster that could be a 1-in-30 million find.
The lobster is dark with bright orange and yellow spots. It was caught off Winter Harbor, Maine, and is being held at the New England Aquarium for the Biomes Marine Biology Center, a science center in Rhode Island.
Aquarium spokesman Tony Lacasse says calico lobsters are quite rare.
The Maine-based Lobster Conservancy says perhaps one lobster in 1 million is blue, while both the orange and calico versions might be as rare as 1 in 30 million.
boston, massachusetts, wildlife preservation, animals
- Apartments evacuated in Bucks Co. hazmat investigation 2 min ago
- Sunny and Cooler!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia 23 min ago
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd. 59 min ago
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino 15 min ago
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ