Woman finds baby bird with 2 heads, 3 beaks
NORTHAMPTON, Mass. (AP) - May 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Northampton woman made an unusual discovery in her yard - a deformed baby cardinal with two heads and three beaks.
April Britt says she found the bird near the base of a tree Monday and returned it to its nest.
The 67-year-old Britt tells the Daily Hampshire Gazette the bird apparently couldn't eat without assistance from the adult birds. The middle beak didn't work well and the other two didn't appear to be connected to the bird's throat.
A scientist for the Massachusetts Audubon Society says animals with such abnormalities rarely survive birth, making the find all the more unusual. He says the deformities could have been caused by genetic or environmental factors.
The baby and adults were gone by Tuesday.
massachusetts, wildlife preservation, animals
- 51 confirmed dead in Oklahoma tornado 7 min ago
- Soupy Situation
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Center City high rise evacuated due to fire
- 15 motorcyclists arrested following NJ chase ID'd
- New sighting reported of missing student's car
- Cherry Hill East student injured in crash
- Man convicted of murder in Pa. musician's slaying 21 min ago
- Surveillance video released in food vendor murder
- Appoquinimink teacher arrested for indecent exposure
- Conn. commuter rail service to resume Wednesday
- Bucks County bear now spotted in Bristol Twp.
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- 51 confirmed dead in Oklahoma tornado
7 min ago