Woman finds baby bird with 2 heads, 3 beaks
NORTHAMPTON, Mass. (AP) - May 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Northampton woman made an unusual discovery in her yard - a deformed baby cardinal with two heads and three beaks.
April Britt says she found the bird near the base of a tree Monday and returned it to its nest.
The 67-year-old Britt tells the Daily Hampshire Gazette the bird apparently couldn't eat without assistance from the adult birds. The middle beak didn't work well and the other two didn't appear to be connected to the bird's throat.
A scientist for the Massachusetts Audubon Society says animals with such abnormalities rarely survive birth, making the find all the more unusual. He says the deformities could have been caused by genetic or environmental factors.
The baby and adults were gone by Tuesday.
massachusetts, wildlife preservation, animals
- AccuWeather: Enjoy the Easter sunshine! 19 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment 15 min ago
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel 9 min ago
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd 47 min ago
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard 38 min ago
- Pedestrian struck, killed by truck in Rhawnhurst 41 min ago
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Lumberton brush fire considered 'suspicious' 52 min ago
- Crimefighters: Reward in Camden drive-thru murder
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
47 min ago
- AccuWeather: Enjoy the Easter sunshine!
19 min ago