Woman finds baby bird with 2 heads, 3 beaks
NORTHAMPTON, Mass. (AP) - May 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Northampton woman made an unusual discovery in her yard - a deformed baby cardinal with two heads and three beaks.
April Britt says she found the bird near the base of a tree Monday and returned it to its nest.
The 67-year-old Britt tells the Daily Hampshire Gazette the bird apparently couldn't eat without assistance from the adult birds. The middle beak didn't work well and the other two didn't appear to be connected to the bird's throat.
A scientist for the Massachusetts Audubon Society says animals with such abnormalities rarely survive birth, making the find all the more unusual. He says the deformities could have been caused by genetic or environmental factors.
The baby and adults were gone by Tuesday.
massachusetts, wildlife preservation, animals
- London theater partially collapses; 80 injured
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk 2 min ago
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding 1 min ago
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos