Shar Pei nurses 2 endangered tiger cubs in Russia
MOSCOW (AP) - June 8, 2012 (WPVI) -- Two Siberian tiger cubs abandoned in Russia by their mother have found an unusual wet nurse - a wrinkled, sand-colored Shar Pei dog named Cleopatra, a zoo worker said Wednesday.
The cubs were born late May in a zoo at the Oktyabrsky health resort in the Black Sea resort of Sochi.
Zoo assistant director Viktoria Kudlayeva said the dog immediately gave the cubs all her attention.
"She accepted them right away," Kudlayeva said in a telephone interview. "She's cleaning them and breast feeding them as if they were her own. And they also sleep together."
The cubs - named Clyopa, after their adopted mother, and Plyusha - are also being fed goat's milk.
Kudlayeva said that the cubs pose no danger to the dog even though they are already showing their claws and hissing.
"They aren't aggressive and they depend on her for feeding," she said.
Fewer than 400 Siberian tigers - also known as Ussuri, Amur or Manchurian tigers - have survived in the wild, most of them in Russia's Far East.
moscow, russia, wildlife preservation, animals
- Actor James Gandolfini dies at 51 56 min ago
- Splendid spring finale 41 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Boy, 6, hit by car in East Oak Lane 51 min ago
- Villanova lockdown over, all suspects in custody 46 min ago
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila. 44 min ago
- Back yard bear prompts photos, videos 43 min ago
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman Zimmer
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- AMA declares obesity a disease [POLL]
- Video: Phila. choir shares stage with Rolling Stones
- Desmond's slam leads Nats over Phillies 33 min ago
- Actor James Gandolfini dies at 51
56 min ago
- Villanova lockdown over, all suspects in...
46 min ago
- Boy, 6, hit by car in East Oak Lane
51 min ago
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila.
44 min ago