Bears trash home in upstate NY's Bearsville
BEARSVILLE, N.Y. (AP) - July 25, 2012 (WPVI) -- The upstate New York hamlet of Bearsville is living up to its name.
The Times-Herald Record of Middletown reports that a mother bear and her cubs trashed a family's home in Bearsville several times earlier this month.
The Knowles family arrived at their home on July 13 to find that their kitchen had been ransacked by bears. They later went out for dinner, and upon returning they found the house trashed all over again.
They cleaned up the mess and went out again the next day. They returned in the evening to find the home trashed yet again by the bears.
State wildlife specialists decided the mother bear was now a nuisance and would have to be killed. They fired two shots at the bear but missed.
She and her cubs haven't been back since then.
new york, wildlife preservation, animals
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City 1 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting 35 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- 76ers owner Harris calls 19-win season 'success'
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Bride gets help after banquet closes
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
1 min ago