Now that's a good dog
CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - July 25, 2012 (WPVI) -- A former bomb dog is good against snakes, too.
Seventy-year-old Darrell Layne says his life was saved by his black Lab, Onex.
The dog had been trained to sniff out explosives for Army in the Mideast.
The Tennessee man says he and Onex were walking when the dog spotted a venomous copperhead.
Layne says Onex growled at the snake diverting its attention.
Layne tells a local paper he was able to pick up a fence post and kill the copperhead.
In the process the dog was bitten twice in the face.
But Layne says he was able to get Onex to a vet, who treated the Lab with antivenin and saved the dog's life.
tennessee, dogs, animals
- DA's office: 4 held in deadly NJ mall carjacking 21 min ago
- Record Warmth! 51 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia 11 min ago
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard 21 min ago
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua 21 min ago
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond 8 min ago
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- DA's office: 4 held in deadly NJ mall...
21 min ago
- Police investigate tire slashings in South...
11 min ago
- Record Warmth!
51 min ago