Now that's a good dog
CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - July 25, 2012 (WPVI) -- A former bomb dog is good against snakes, too.
Seventy-year-old Darrell Layne says his life was saved by his black Lab, Onex.
The dog had been trained to sniff out explosives for Army in the Mideast.
The Tennessee man says he and Onex were walking when the dog spotted a venomous copperhead.
Layne says Onex growled at the snake diverting its attention.
Layne tells a local paper he was able to pick up a fence post and kill the copperhead.
In the process the dog was bitten twice in the face.
But Layne says he was able to get Onex to a vet, who treated the Lab with antivenin and saved the dog's life.
tennessee, dogs, animals
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse 51 min ago
- AccuWeather: Friday Clouds and SE Rain 27 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 Phila. schools closed Friday, staff relocated 38 min ago
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run
- AccuWeather: Friday Clouds and SE Rain
27 min ago
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
51 min ago