Hippo stuck in swimming pool
JOHANNESBURG (AP) - August 23, 2012 (WPVI) -- A hefty hippo chased away from his herd at a South African game reserve has found a refreshing place to relax: the lodge's swimming pool. Now it's stuck there.
The young hippopotamus plopped into the pool on Tuesday at the Monate Conservation Lodge north of Johannesburg. Isabel Wentzel of South Africa's National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals says the pool has no steps. Wentzel says a game capture team will sedate the hippo and lift it out of the pool with a crane. Much of the water has been drained to make the extraction easier.
Because the hippo was chased away by his herd, it will be moved to a new location.
africa, wildlife preservation, animals
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 43 min ago
- Sunny and chilly 40 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat 42 min ago
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester 2 min ago
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino 44 min ago
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Sunny and chilly
40 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
42 min ago