New York News
Man assaulted near ferry terminal, then run over by cop
NEW YORK -- A man badly beaten outside the Staten Island Ferry Terminal was then unintentionally run over by an off-duty NYPD officer.
Police say the 33-year-old victim was assaulted by two men on Richmond Terrace around 2:35 a.m. Thursday.
The suspects fled the scene in a taxi, leaving the victim lying in the street in front of the ferry terminal.
He was then accidentally run over by a passing black Ford Explorer driven by the off-duty cop. The driver, who did not see the victim lying in the street, stopped and called police.
The victim was rushed to Richmond University Medical Center in serious but stable condition.
The driver of the SUV was talking to investigators.
The two suspects in the initial assault have not been caught.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, staten island, assault, pedestrian struck, new york news
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow 4 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings 42 min ago
- Arrest in S. Phila. Christmas decoration theft
- Woman stabbed female cousin to death, police say
- Roy Halladay retiring as a Blue Jay
- Police: Man wasn't at casino before being shot
- 2 kids, 3 others injured in school bus crash 58 min ago
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast
- US Airways, American merger complete 8 min ago
- Princeton begins meningitis B vaccinations
- Michael Carter-Williams released from hospital
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow
4 min ago