New York News
Police ID suspect in Bronx Laundromat rape
BEDFORD PARK -- The NYPD has identified the suspect who allegedly raped a woman at a Bronx Laundromat.
A manhunt is now under say for 44-year-old Danny Gonzalez.
Investigators say the attack happened around 8 a.m. Sunday in a back room of the Laundromat, located in the Bedford Park section.
Police say Gonzalez walked in and forced the 27-year-old victim into the rear room, where he raped her.
Juan Martes says he and another man ran into the store after a woman told them she heard the victim's cries for help.
They found her locked in a bathroom, hysterically crying.
The victim was treated at the hospital.
Gonzalez is reportedly a level 3 sex offender with a long criminal history dating back to 1990, when he followed an 18-year-old woman into an elevator and attempted to rape her, but was deterred by her screams. He was caught while fleeing the scene.
He has served at least 13 years behind bars for rape and aggravated harassment.
In this latest case, he was identified from surveillance video obtained from a business on Webster Avenue, near the Laundromat.
"He said he lived in Queens, and he said he came to do some laundry," deli owner Frankie Marte said. "He bought a sandwich. It's the second time I've seen him."
Anyone with information in regards to this rape is asked to call the NYPD's Crime Stoppers Hotline at 800-577-TIPS.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, bedford, rape, new york news
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Phila. Police search for suspect in Rite Aid robbery
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police