New York News
First Monday commute with new MTA fare hikes
NEW YORK -- Commuters went back to work Monday morning paying more to use subways, bridges, buses and tunnels after the MTA's fare increases.The base fare subways and buses jumped 25 cents, from $2.25 to $2.50. A single ride is now $2.75. Express buses are now $6, up from $5.50. A 30-day unlimited MetroCard rose $8 to $112. And there is now a one dollar charge to buy a new card. Drivers aren't off the hook: Tolls went up on the MTA bridges and tunnels. Drivers now have to pay the odd price of $5.33 for the MTA bridges and tunnels if you have an E-ZPass, and $7.50 for cash customers. On the LIRR and Metro-North, fares went up between 8 and 9%, depending on how far you travel. Many commuters complained about the service even more than the fare hike.
One commuter suggested this motto for the LIRR: "Paying a lot of money for not much service."
The MTA says its fares are generally in line with other comparable transit systems from coast to coast.
When it comes to the LIRR, the nation's busiest commuter railroad, 60 percent of its budget goes to its employees for pension costs and other labor-related issues. That's before they spend a dime to improve service.
But Suzann, hustling to catch her train to Hicksville, said what just about everyone was thinking.
"They want more for transportation, but my salary stays the same," she said.
For more information visit: http://www.mta.info/news/stories/?story=975
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, mta, metro north, long island railroad, subway, new york news
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Frost Advisory Overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Water main break cancels Cheyney U. classes
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Tour bus catches fire in Galloway Twp.
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Rangers top Flyers in playoff opener 4-1