Reaction to news of Sen. Kennedy's tumor
Tuesday, May 20, 2008
May 20, 2008 -- Reaction to the news that Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, D-Mass., has a malignant brain tumor:
---"Laura and I are concerned to learn of our friend Senator Kennedy's diagnosis. Ted Kennedy is a man of tremendous courage, remarkable strength and powerful spirit. Our thoughts are with Senator Kennedy and his family during this difficult period. We join our fellow Americans in praying for his full recovery."
- President Bush. ---
"He's comforted by the fact that his dad is such a fighter, and if anyone can get through something as challenging as this, it would be his father. ... He's hopeful that his father is going to beat this and be back at it. This is definitely a medical challenge that his dad can get through."
- Robin Costello, spokeswoman for Rep. Patrick Kennedy, D-R.I. --- "I am so deeply saddened I have lost the words."
- Sen. John Warner, R-Va. --- "Every one of us knows what a big heart this fellow has. He's helped millions and millions of people in so many ways at so many different times - from the biggest of the legislation on the floor to the most personal when he would call you and help arrange a discussion. ... Now everybody needs to do that on behalf of Ted."
- Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass. --- "Obviously, our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and to him. We hope and pray that they will be able to treat it and that he will experience a full recovery. I have said on numerous occasions, I have described Ted Kennedy as the last lion in the Senate, and I have held that view because he remains the single most effective member of the Senate if you want to get results."
- Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz. --- "He knows how we feel about him, without our even telling him. ... And so we stand as a body, and as certainly a Democratic family, with our affection, our love and our prayers with Senator Ted Kennedy."
- Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev. --- "Senator Kennedy is a real fighter. We all know that. I'm betting on Senator Kennedy."
- Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa. --- "I have confidence though because Senator Kennedy has been a fighter all his life. He is a fighter - a fighter for our children, for our workers, for our seniors. He is a champion fighting for health care for all Americans. I know that that fighting spirit will hold him in good stead in the challenge that he faces now."
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif. --- "Senator Kennedy is a giant in the Senate, a wonderful public servant and a great American. ... Ted Kennedy has faced many challenges during his life, and I know he will meet this one with determination and strength, and I hope to see him back in Congress soon."
- House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Md. --- "He fights for what he thinks is right. And we want to make sure that he's fighting this illness. And it's our job now to support him in the way that he has supported us for so many years. He's not just a great senator, he is a great friend. He is beloved by me, and beloved by my colleagues. "
- Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill. --- "Ted Kennedy's courage and resolve are unmatched, and they have made him one of the greatest legislators in Senate history. Our thoughts are with him and Vicki and we are praying for a quick and full recovery."
- Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y. --- "This is obviously a challenge. However, he's overcome more than his share of challenges. I think everyone is optimistic. It's another challenge, but he's gonna have a full life."
- Rep. William Delahunt, D-Mass. --- "He's a strong guy and has great heart and we're confident he'll be back here."
- Sen. Chris Dodd, D-Conn. --- "Ted Kennedy has spent his life caring for those in need. Now it's time for those who love Ted and his family to care for them and join in prayer to give them strength."
- Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill. --- "Senator Kennedy approaches every obstacle with tremendous courage, poise and resolve. And I know his tremendous heart and spirit will prevail now. My thoughts and prayers, and those of all Americans, are with him and his family at this difficult time."
- Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash. --- "I'm having a hard time remembering a day in my 34 years here I've felt this sadly."
- Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt. --- "I'm really sad. He's the one politician who brings tears to my eyes when he speaks."
- Former Sen. Bob Kerrey, D-Neb. --- "Senator Kennedy has been a passionate advocate for the causes he believes in for many years. ... The one thing all of us know about Senator Kennedy is that he's a fighter, and I wish him the best for a full and speedy recovery."
- Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas. --- "My dear, dear friend, dear friend, Ted Kennedy. ... Keep Ted here for us and for America. ... Ted, Ted, Ted. My dear friend. I love you and miss you."
- Sen. Robert Byrd, D-W.Va.
(Copyright ©2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Temps Soar 56 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery 42 min ago
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly 25 min ago
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet? 2 min ago
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Temps Soar
56 min ago
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
42 min ago
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West...
25 min ago