Boy, American dad arrive in US from Brazil
RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) - December 24, 2009 -- A 9-year-old boy and his father have arrived in Florida from Brazil, marking the end of a five-year custody battle that spanned two continents.
Sean Goldman and his father, David Goldman of Tinton Falls, N.J., landed Thursday evening in Orlando on a private jet chartered by NBC. Most media were kept far away.
They reunited earlier in the day in Rio de Janeiro, ending an epic battle that pitted Sean's father against the boy's Brazilian stepfather, who had cared for Sean since his mother died last year. The dispute reached the highest levels of the U.S. and Brazilian governments and strained relations between the two countries.
Sean had lived in Brazil since Goldman's ex-wife, Bruna Bianchi, brought him to her native country for what was supposed to be a two-week vacation in 2004.
Associated Press writers Tales Azzoni in Sao Paulo, Bradley Brooks in Rio de Janeiro, and Geoff Mulvihill in Mount Laurel, N.J., contributed to this report.
brazil, adoption, national/world
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University 21 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 14 min ago
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 26 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station
- Officials: Feb. pileup on Pa. Turnpike exposed gaps 11 min ago
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course 31 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
26 min ago