Boy, American dad arrive in US from Brazil
RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) - December 24, 2009 -- A 9-year-old boy and his father have arrived in Florida from Brazil, marking the end of a five-year custody battle that spanned two continents.
Sean Goldman and his father, David Goldman of Tinton Falls, N.J., landed Thursday evening in Orlando on a private jet chartered by NBC. Most media were kept far away.
They reunited earlier in the day in Rio de Janeiro, ending an epic battle that pitted Sean's father against the boy's Brazilian stepfather, who had cared for Sean since his mother died last year. The dispute reached the highest levels of the U.S. and Brazilian governments and strained relations between the two countries.
Sean had lived in Brazil since Goldman's ex-wife, Bruna Bianchi, brought him to her native country for what was supposed to be a two-week vacation in 2004.
Associated Press writers Tales Azzoni in Sao Paulo, Bradley Brooks in Rio de Janeiro, and Geoff Mulvihill in Mount Laurel, N.J., contributed to this report.
brazil, adoption, national/world
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater 27 min ago
- Clouds to sun, cool today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry 37 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- 'GMA' promotes Lara Spencer to co-host 36 min ago