Taliban claim blast that killed 8 Americans
KABUL (AP) - December 31, 2009 -- The Taliban are claiming responsibility for a suicide bombing at a base in eastern Afghanistan that killed eight American civilians.
Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid told The Associated Press that a Taliban bomber wearing a military uniform and a suicide vest entered the base in Khost and blew himself up inside the gym.
A U.S. Congressional official told AP that CIA employees are believed to be among the dead in the Wednesday bombing.
The CIA has not yet commented on or confirmed the deaths.
The congressional official said it was not clear how many of the victims were assigned to the CIA. The official was not authorized to discuss the matter with the media, and spoke on condition of anonymity.
- Photos: AccuWeather Maps: Snow arrives tonight
- Snow will turn the ground white again!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia 31 min ago
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 1 wounded in Lakewood drive-by shooting
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
31 min ago