Yemen: 2 al-Qaida militants killed in clashes
SAN'A, Yemen - January 4, 2010 -- Security officials say Yemeni forces have killed two suspected al-Qaida militants in a raid outside the capital.
The officials say security forces attacked a group of militants, which included Nazeeh al-Hanaq, a senior figure on Yemen's most wanted list. The clash took place on Monday as the militants were moving through the mountainous area of Arhab.
They say al-Hanaq escaped but two fighters with him were killed in the clashes. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the press.
The clashes come as the U.S. and British embassies in San'a extended their closure for a second day Monday, citing an active threat of an al-Qaida attack. Both countries are increasing counter-terror aid to Yemen, aiming to fight the terror group's offshoot here.
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 injured NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel 28 min ago
- 1 person injured in Hamilton Twp. house fire 37 min ago
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom 55 min ago
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos