Red Cross helping contact Haiti quake victims
PHILADELPHIA - January 14, 2010 (WPVI) -- As the relief effort for the earthquake victims in Haiti continues, local agencies and volunteers are pitching in to help.
At local Red Cross headquarters Thursday, volunteers at the Red Cross headquarters in Center City were helping people register to contact loved ones who were in Haiti when the earthquake hit.
They're doing it through the Family Links website, which lets people here, in Haiti, and around the world register in hopes of contacting loved ones.
RELATED LINK: Family Links website
While the registration can be done at home, volunteers were there to help people navigate the system.
"When I looked in the middle of the evening last night, I saw 14 names. Now there are thousands," said Don Verdina.
Anyone who does not have access to the internet or a computer are encouraged to go to one of three Red Cross Family Links computer centers.
The computer centers will be located at:
Philadelphia at SEPA Chapter Headquarters at 23rd and Chestnut Streets.
Red Cross House at 40th and Powelton.
A Red Cross Emergency Response Vehicle will serve as the third Family Links Center and will be located at the Ebenezer Haitian Baptist Church at 258 East Roosevelt Boulevard.
The centers will be open weekdays from 9 am to 8pm, for an indefinite period of time, beginning Thursday, January 14th.
Meanwhile, the Salvation Army is also getting lots of donation calls. The Army guarantees 100-percent of the money will be going directly to Haiti. Their message is to beware scam artists.
haitian earthquake, haiti, national/world
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday 52 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course 57 min ago
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 50 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
52 min ago