Boy stuck by needles to leave hospital
SAO PAULO - January 19, 2010 -- A 2-year-old Brazilian boy stuck by his stepfather with dozens of sewing needles will be released from the hospital Friday with five needles still on his body.
Doctors were expected to remove four of the remaining needles on Monday, but decided based on new tests that they don't need to be extracted immediately.
The Ana Neri Hospital said Tuesday in a statement that the needles may be removed in the future in minor procedures that don't require hospitalization.
The boy underwent three surgeries after being hospitalized in December.
The toddler's stepfather told Globo TV last year he wanted to kill the child to spite his wife. Police have formally accused him and his lover of attempted murder.
brazil, child abuse, national/world
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Breezy And Mild!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash 47 min ago
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos