Death toll at 11 in building collapse
LIEGE, Belgium - January 29, 2010 -- Searchers pulled two more bodies from the rubble of a collapsed apartment block in this Belgian city, raising to 11 the death toll from what is believed to have been a gas explosion.
Officials said Friday they have identified only three victims so far. They said the force of the explosion early Wednesday that caused the five-story apartment building to collapse made it hard to identify victims.
Twenty-one people were injured in the blast, two seriously.
Officials said they did not expect to find any more bodies.
The building had only 14 registered residents. The explosion shattered windows in a wide area around the building. On Friday, workers tore down an adjacent building for fear it would collapse as well.
belgium, building collapse, national/world
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 37 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air 27 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford 21 min ago
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire 41 min ago
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion 41 min ago
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel 41 min ago
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp....
37 min ago
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
41 min ago
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
41 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
27 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos