Three children mauled by pack of dogs
FONTANA, Calif. - February 2, 2010 -- Authorities say a pack of escaped dogs mauled three young siblings in California, leaving a 5-year-old girl in critical condition.
Police Sgt. Jeff Deckers says the dogs - a mastiff and four pit-bull mixes - escaped a Fontana backyard Monday afternoon and attacked a mother walking with her four children.
Deckers says the mastiff pulled the girl from her mother's hand and shook her violently. She has a punctured lung, broken ribs and bites and is on a ventilator.
Deckers says her brother, who's about 7, also was hospitalized after needing 237 staples to close a leg wound. The girl's sister, who's about 8, was treated for leg and arm injuries.
Deckers says an officer shot one of the dogs. The others were impounded and the owners could be ticketed.
california, dog attack, national/world
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Volleyball coach accused sex with student 7 min ago
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates 46 min ago
- Temps Soar