Roethlisberger hires high-profile Atlanta lawyer
ATLANTA, Ga. (AP) - March 8, 2010 -- A high-profile Atlanta defense attorney said Monday that he's been hired to represent Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger as police investigate a Georgia woman's claim he sexually assaulted her.Roethlisberger has not been charged. Police said a 20-year-old college student reported the assault after an encounter with Roethlisberger early Friday at a nightclub in central Georgia.
Police in Milledgeville planned a news conference Monday afternoon on the case. Steelers President Art Rooney II said in a statement the team is closely monitoring the situation.
"All of us in the Steelers family are concerned about the recent incident involving Ben Roethlisberger in Georgia," the statement said. "We cannot comment on any of the specifics until law enforcement's investigation is concluded."
Meanwhile, attorney Ed Garland's assistant confirmed Monday that he is representing Roethlisberger.
Garland previously represented rapper T.I. on a federal weapons charge and Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis in a murder case.
More serious charges against Lewis were dropped and he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor obstruction of justice charge.
Roethlisberger, who owns a home about 30 miles north of Milledgeville on Lake Oconee, is also being sued by a woman who claims he raped her in 2008 at a hotel-casino in Lake Tahoe.
The player's agent, Ryan Tollner, said in a statement the day after the Milledgeville incident that he is skeptical of the alleged victim's motive because of the Lake Tahoe allegations.
georgia, assault, national/world
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off drug dealers 3 min ago
- Warm and humid, 80s again today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide
- SW Phila. shootings possibly connected to bar fight 12 min ago
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall
- Report: FBI agent fatally shoots Tsarnaev associate
- D.A.: Girlfriend's murder in Chesco 'an execution' 2 min ago
- Okla. residents come home to pick up the pieces
- Vatican insists that no papal exorcism took place
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Sleep monitors promise a better night's sleep
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc