Corpse in Cyprus body snatching case could be ex-leader
NICOSIA, Cyprus (AP) - March 8, 2010 -- Cyprus police say a body found at a Nicosia cemetery could be the stolen corpse of former president Tassos Papadopoulos.Spokesman Michalis Katsounotos said a tip-off led police to the corpse late Monday. But he wouldn't elaborate in what state the corpse was or what evidence investigators have to lead them to believe it could be that of the former Greek Cypriot leader.
Katsounotos said DNA testing would be carried out to positively identify the body.
Papadopoulos' corpse was stolen from a graveyard in suburban Nicosia on Dec. 11 - the eve of the first anniversary of his death from lung cancer. The motive remains a mystery.
Papadopoulos was president from 2003 to 2008.
- Search for Okla. tornado survivors nearly complete
- Steamy Situation
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help and avoid scams
- Local search and rescue team helping in Oklahoma
- Hats get women ejected from King of Prussia Mall
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Chesco man killed longtime girlfriend, police say
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Sleep monitors promise a better night's sleep
- Young and Howard lift Phillies over Marlins
- Video: Philly's new skateboard park opens
- Kellie Pickler named new DWTS champ