Corpse in Cyprus body snatching case could be ex-leader
NICOSIA, Cyprus (AP) - March 8, 2010 -- Cyprus police say a body found at a Nicosia cemetery could be the stolen corpse of former president Tassos Papadopoulos.Spokesman Michalis Katsounotos said a tip-off led police to the corpse late Monday. But he wouldn't elaborate in what state the corpse was or what evidence investigators have to lead them to believe it could be that of the former Greek Cypriot leader.
Katsounotos said DNA testing would be carried out to positively identify the body.
Papadopoulos' corpse was stolen from a graveyard in suburban Nicosia on Dec. 11 - the eve of the first anniversary of his death from lung cancer. The motive remains a mystery.
Papadopoulos was president from 2003 to 2008.
- 1 dead, 5 hurt in Trenton drive-by shooting 51 min ago
- Record Warmth! 12 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Crews battle house fire in Elsmere 37 min ago
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Record Warmth!
12 min ago