Balloon boy dad completing sentence at home
FORT COLLINS, Colo. - March 24, 2010 -- The Colorado man who pleaded guilty to falsely influencing the sheriff by saying his son had floated off in a runaway balloon is completing his sentence at home.
Larimer County sheriff's spokeswoman Eloise Campanella said Wednesday that Richard Heene finished his time in jail and with a work-release unit. He was moved earlier this month to home detention and is wearing an ankle monitor.
Heene started serving a 90-day sentence Jan. 11. His wife, Mayumi, pleaded guilty to filing a false report and must serve 20 days in jail.
Sheriff's officials say the couple's report Oct. 15 that their young son had floated away in a UFO-shaped helium balloon was a hoax.
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- AccuWeather: Friday Clouds and SE Rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse 38 min ago
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Teen wounded in Point Breeze shooting
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Protests overshadow Mayor's budget address
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
38 min ago