Navy plane crashes in Arabian Sea; 1 missing
WASHINGTON (AP) - March 31, 2010 -- The U.S. Navy says one of its aircraft crashed in the Persian Gulf region and one of four crew members is still missing.
A statement from the Navy command in the region is calling the crash a "mishap" and says the Hawkeye aircraft was operating Wednesday afternoon in the North Arabian Sea when it happened.
The E-2C Hawkeye was stationed aboard the aircraft carrier USS Dwight D. Eisenhower and is used for command and control functions for the carrier group as well as surveillance.
The Navy says three of the four crew members have been recovered and search and rescue efforts for the fourth crew member are currently under way.
u.s. navy, middle east, national/world
- Snow Arriving 36 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Storm causes multiple accidents, delays at airport 2 min ago
- Photos: Wintry weather forecast maps 8 min ago
- Photos: Images of Sunday's wintry mix 47 min ago
- Video: Eagles fan tailgate in the snow 46 min ago
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Police: Son of PHA employee charged with DUI
- Body found in Logan tire fire
- East Oak Lane apartment fire under control
- South Africans hold day of prayer for Mandela
- Susan Boyle says Asperger's diagnosis was a relief
- Snow Arriving
36 min ago