Navy plane crashes in Arabian Sea; 1 missing
WASHINGTON (AP) - March 31, 2010 -- The U.S. Navy says one of its aircraft crashed in the Persian Gulf region and one of four crew members is still missing.
A statement from the Navy command in the region is calling the crash a "mishap" and says the Hawkeye aircraft was operating Wednesday afternoon in the North Arabian Sea when it happened.
The E-2C Hawkeye was stationed aboard the aircraft carrier USS Dwight D. Eisenhower and is used for command and control functions for the carrier group as well as surveillance.
The Navy says three of the four crew members have been recovered and search and rescue efforts for the fourth crew member are currently under way.
u.s. navy, middle east, national/world
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife 23 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man shot by off-duty cop during fight ID'd
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar
- Man arrested after Phila. police crash, chase ID'd
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 26 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- Photos: Pictures from the 2014 Red Ball