IMF board approves nearly $40 billion Greece loan
WASHINGTON (AP) - May 9, 2010 -- The board of the International Monetary Fund has approved its part of a $140 billion bailout package for Greece.
The board met in Washington Sunday to approve a three-year, nearly $40 billion (euro30 billion) loan for the troubled European nation. Greece has enacted broad cutbacks on government spending as a condition of the rescue, sparking riots and social unrest.
Eurozone leaders on Saturday approved a $100 billion package of loans to Greece for the next three years to keep it from imploding. The bailouts are an effort to stabilize global markets rocked last week by fears of a spreading European debt crisis.
European leaders also are meeting Sunday to hash out the terms of a proposed broader rescue. They want to have a plan in place before Asian markets open for the week.
Analysts fear the debt crisis could expand to other western European countries and hobble the global economic recovery.
President Barack Obama is keeping up pressure on European leaders to craft a solution robust enough to stabilize markets after volatility last week that rivaled swings during the peak of the 2008 financial crisis.
Obama called German Chancellor Angela Merkel and French president Nicolas Sarkozy on Sunday to discuss the importance of European Union nations "taking resolute steps to build confidence in the markets," said White House press secretary Robert Gibbs.
washington, d.c., Greece, bailout, national/world
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings 31 min ago
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run
- Video released in pizza delivery driver shooting
- Female suspect arrested in Christmas package theft 46 min ago
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
- Mega Million jackpot reaches $297 Million 23 min ago
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Elkins Park sisters treated at KoP by Make-a-Wish
- Area medical schools use 'Jeopardy' as learning tool 51 min ago
- Freebie Friday 36 min ago
- Photos: East Passyunk Avenue Tree Lighting Party
- Female suspect arrested in Christmas...
46 min ago
- Area medical schools use 'Jeopardy' as...
51 min ago