Balloon-boy parents get balloon back
FORT COLLINS, Colo. - May 14, 2010 -- The runaway UFO-like balloon that the world thought was carrying a 6-year-old boy is back in the hands of the parents who pleaded guilty to the hoax.
The Larimer County Sheriff's office says Richard Heene asked to measure the balloon to make sure it was the same one he launched into infamy on Oct. 15.
Authorities say the Heenes staged the hoax to try to get attention for a reality television show.
Heene completed a 90-day jail sentence for his plea of falsely influencing authorities. His wife, Mayumi, was sentenced to 10 weekends working at nonprofits for filing a false report.
The Heenes have agreed to pay $36,000 in restitution to agencies that responded to the hoax.
Information from: KUSA-TV
colorado, balloon boy case, national/world
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media 42 min ago
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus 21 min ago
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Purse snatcher caught on camera in Montco
- Neighbor alerts showering woman of fire in home
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Impact of Sunoco HQ, Citibank leaving Philly
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
- Photos: Most fascinating people of 2013 47 min ago
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
42 min ago