Balloon-boy parents get balloon back
FORT COLLINS, Colo. - May 14, 2010 -- The runaway UFO-like balloon that the world thought was carrying a 6-year-old boy is back in the hands of the parents who pleaded guilty to the hoax.
The Larimer County Sheriff's office says Richard Heene asked to measure the balloon to make sure it was the same one he launched into infamy on Oct. 15.
Authorities say the Heenes staged the hoax to try to get attention for a reality television show.
Heene completed a 90-day jail sentence for his plea of falsely influencing authorities. His wife, Mayumi, was sentenced to 10 weekends working at nonprofits for filing a false report.
The Heenes have agreed to pay $36,000 in restitution to agencies that responded to the hoax.
Information from: KUSA-TV
colorado, balloon boy case, national/world
- Mug shot released of McNabb after Ariz. arrest 35 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- $105,000 taken in Tacony armored car heist
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital 56 min ago
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy
- 1 dead in cement truck, car crash in Levittown
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del.
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 20 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
20 min ago